Monday, October 8, 2012

My Radio is Possessed!


I rarely listen to the radio in my car, and one day, radio most definitely off, a talk show host spoke to me. Was this some sort of Candid Camera game?

I glanced at nearby cars as I pressed the mute button and once again, blessed silence. The stoplight changed to green and as I drove through the intersection, again, the talk show host spoke!

Was my radio possessed?

I pressed mute a third time and a few seconds later the bloviating invaded my car yet again. Definitely possessed! Or was this the first sign of an alien invasion? Or… or… sentience! A yellow Camaro cruised nearby and my car might transform at any moment!

All of that and more flitted through my mind with each burp of life from the radio. Did I ever really consider it was simply a wayward computer chip? Where's the fun in that? I then wondered whether everyone’s mind worked in this fashion or if it’s a manifestation of story tellers.

When I shared the tale with my Sisters of the Quill, one speculated that it might simply be a right-brain versus left-brain function and that those who are predominantly left-brained might not link such random stories to a cranky radio. So if left-brainers tend toward logical thinking, analysis, and accuracy, and right-brainers are more creative, then my right-brain must have been steering the car on that hot afternoon.

Regardless, I do know that I’m looking forward to the next time I go for a drive.

by Janet Fogg
Janet is the author of Soliloquy, an award-winning historical romance, and co-author of the military history bestseller, Fogg in the Cockpit.


Edited and reprinted from July 2011 for our Halloween edition!

3 comments:

angela parson myers said...

Yeah, I'd have certainly considered possession before computer chip. : - )

Patricia Stoltey said...

This is kind of creepy, Janet. Let's hope it's just harmless gremlins and not evil demons.

Dean K Miller said...

The importance piece is not that it came on, but what it said...