Monday, March 26, 2012

Author and Editor Terry Wright is Interviewed!

by Janet Fogg

We’ve been asked, so today we’re offering answers to questions such as: Chiseled Staff? Are they really that chiseled? Are they completely off their Rockers? And what do they do behind closed doors?!

Today we’re talking to Terry Wright, and let me assure you, there’s nothing mundane in HIS writing world! Tension, conflict and suspense propel his readers through the pages as if they were on fire. Published in science fiction, supernatural, and horror, his mastery of the action thriller has won him acclaim as an accomplished screenplay writer. A member of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers since 1998, he now runs RMFW’s annual Colorado Gold Writing Contest. Terry is also the editor of his own electronic publishing company, TWB Press, specializing in science fiction, supernatural, horror, and thriller genres.

CIR: Welcome Terry! How do you describe yourself (the top three things that come to mind)?

TW: Self-motivated. Entrepreneur. Overachiever. And I exaggerate a lot.

CIR: Please describe the path of your writing career.

TW: Everyone knows what potholes are. My path is strewn with sinkholes.

CIR: What are your current writing goals and challenges? (What are you working on?)

TW: “Black Jack” Book one in a series of Jack Sabre Thrillers. “After the murder of his wife, Denver Detective Jack Sabre crosses the line between justice and revenge. No more Mr. Nice Guy.”

CIR: What are the two toughest things about writing?

TW: Writing and writing.

CIR: Do you prefer igneous, metamorphic, or sedimentary?

TW: Metamorphic, of course, something beautiful forged under pressure and heat for a long long time. Igneous is too messy, and sedimentary is downright icky (no offense anyone)

CIR: How has RMFW helped you advance your career?

TW: Let’s put it this way, before RMFW, I was destined to die with a wrench in my hand.

CIR: As we know, RMFW is an all-volunteer organization. Have you or do you volunteer elsewhere in the organization?

TW: Yes. Anyone who answers no to this question should be taken out back and shot at dawn.

CIR: What writers inspire you?

TW: All my mentors are dead – except you, Mario.

CIR: What genres do you read?

TW: Science Fiction (hard – Michael Crichton – Douglas Preston) and Thrillers (legal, political, serial killer, and military). I also love good narrative non-fiction like “Sea Biscuit” and “Flyboys.”

CIR: Do you ever get writer’s rock, er… block? If so how do you break through?

TW: There’s no such thing as writer’s block. The inability to put words on the page is due to a lack of planning.

CIR: What do you feel your stories are born of?

TW: I was a writer in my past life, a caveman who chiseled in rock short stories of hunting deer and stealing the chief’s daughter away at night. It’s hereditary.

CIR: What one piece of advice would you offer to new writers?

TW: Sell shoes. Okay, not really. Be willing to make changes to your work. Writing is in the rewriting.

CIR: What’s your favorite rock and roll song?

TW: I’m a country fan, so give me a good two step like “Tequila Makes her Clothes Fall Off” or a waltz like “Lucile” or how about a cowboy cha-cha like “Neon Moon”... hee hawwww

CIR: When did you first consider yourself a writer?

TW: I’ve always been a writer. It was the Air Force who said I was a mechanic.

CIR: Do you also have a “day” job? Other interests or hobbies?

TW: I retired from my day job two years ago after owning and operating an auto repair shop for thirty six years. I’ll always love flying light aircraft, though I haven’t flown since 1998 (another long story), and my wife, Bobette, and I enjoy outings in our motor home and weekly forays on the dance floors around town. I’ve picked up the guitar again after forty years (no I won’t join your band) and I get a kick out of my Wii games.

CIR: What books have most influenced you?

TW: Here I should say “The Bible” but I’d be exaggerating again. The book that changed my life the most was “Wealth without Risk” by Charles Givens.

CIR: Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?

TW: I do. My English and Journalism teacher at South High School. Mr. Johnson. Because of him, I was going to be a journalist, well, until Vietnam and my best friend joining the Marines and me joining the Air Force (another long story).

CIR: Do you like rocking chairs?

TW: I’m more of a recliner man, myself.

CIR: If you could time travel, when and where would you go?

TW: OMG... I would love to see the dinosaurs up close. When I was a little kid, I was told that there were dinosaur bones in North America. I was going to go there someday.

CIR: What do you predict for the future of the publishing industry and where you fit into that?

TW: This is a huge topic for me, as most of you know. I’m an electronic publisher, TWB Press, firmly implanted in the future of the publishing industry. Why? Refer to question #1. But don’t worry, print books won’t go away until the last tree is felled, and rest assured, e-books will dominate the marketplace for decades to come.

CIR: And lastly, what did you dream of doing when you were twelve years old?

TW: Driving.

CIR: Thank you for joining us, Terry!

You can learn more about Terry and his writing on his website, at TWB Press, or visit his American Pork blog.

But wait, there’s more!

Terry’s on twitter at: www.twitter.com/terrywright13
and www.twitter.com/twbpress

Facebook at: www.facebook.com/terrywrightbooks
and www.facebook.com/twbpress

and on Youtube at: www.youtube.com/terrywright13.

4 comments:

Chris Devlin said...

Metamorphic, definitely. That's where diamonds come from!

I'm glad I'm volunteering this year so Terry won't shoot me. Hopefully, he won't shoot me anyway once the contest gets underway.

Great interview, both of you.

Patricia Stoltey said...

It's great to get to know you better, Terry. Welcome to the rock.

Julie Golden said...

Chris is right to mention diamonds – the more pressure put on Terry, the more he shines.
This interview is fast-paced and sassy, which promises to be the style of Terry's posts on the Rock. He's a perfect addition to the staff.

Anonymous said...

Love this post--and love your responses and energy, Terry! :-]

"I’ve always been a writer. It was the Air Force who said I was a mechanic." Great line!

Rock on, Metamorphic Guy!