Thursday, January 12, 2012

Meet the Reader: Veronica Morfi

By the ever opinionated E.C. Stacy

So, if we writers hope to sell books, shouldn’t we want to know just a little bit about what book buyers want? Let’s face it. We can tickle the keyboard with our clever tales, amusing ourselves for hours, but at the end of the day in order to be a professional writer, we need to know if we can market these pages.

Please allow me to introduce you to Veronica Morfi. She lives in Greece—how cool is that?—studies Computer Science, and would like to write a novel one day, but the key thing is: she reads LOTS of books. I mean tons. To me, Veronica is the kind of expert whose preferences I want to hear about and I’m glad she agreed to be our first guest on Meet the Reader a series dedicated to keeping writers in touch with the street.

CIR: I noticed that you’ve read a few Storm Born titles by Richelle Mead. Do you prefer Mead’s graphic novels or her books?

VF: I have only read her graphic novels and I found them great, but I always think the books are better, even without reading them. I am ashamed to admit I haven't read any of her books... :P

CIR: Mead’s voice and humor make her reads interesting to me. What about Storm Born appeals the most to you?

VF: Besides the story and the beautiful writing I love the Otherworld with all its history and world building.

CIR: Based on your Goodreads ratings, the Harry Potter series struck a chord with you. To me, the premise of the thing alone should have garnered the attention of every agent and editor, yet J.K. Rowling was rejected quite a few times. A kid with sorcerer powers, I mean…come on! Was there anything you found to be an obvious selling point about the first story?

VF: Hmmm...I haven't read the first book in a while, but I still remember thinking that the author had great knowledge about a lot of things. Nicholas Flamel, the philosopher's stone and other elements of her books were real and she combined them great with her imaginary world. And of course who could say 'no' to Hogwarts! I mean, it's like our inner child's dream school.

CIR: Our inner child’s dream school. I never thought of that before. Great point. What would you like to see in fantasy publications in the next decade?

VF: Hopefully my book...kidding! Well, not so much... :P Anyways, I think I want more action, I can't take any more sappy love stories that just have paranormal elements, I want smart, headstrong heroines fighting to save the day and not waiting the prince to come and rescue them.

CIR: I’m glad you mentioned the fighting heroines, Veronica. Agents and editors are definitely trying to locate those types of protagonists in fiction from what I understand. Are there any titles you would like to recommend to writers as a good reference?

VF: Surprisingly enough I can't think of anything...lol. I thought I had this all figured out. Hmmm...maybe something like Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Thank you so much for this interview it was really fun! :)

You can check out Veronica’s blog at http://mostlyreviews.blogspot.com/

No comments: